How to Enable or Install Windows Media Center in Windows 8?
As we all know Microsoft has released free Release Preview (RC build) of Windows 8 to public which can be downloaded using following link:
Recently Microsoft told in an official blog post that Windows Media Center will not come preinstalled in Windows 8 and you'll need to purchase an add-on pack to be able to enjoy Media Center.
Now you'll notice that the recently released Release Preview build also doesn't come with Media Center but don't worry, Microsoft has posted a FAQ list which tells you how to enable or install Windows Media Center in Windows 8.
So following are the step-by-step instructions to add Windows Media Center to Windows 8 Release Preview:
1. First move your mouse cursor to top-right corner to access new Charms bar. Now click on "Search" item present in Charms bar.
2. Now type Add features in search box and click on "Settings" link given in right-sidebar and you'll see "Add features to Windows 8" entry in search results.
3. Click on "Add features to Windows 8" entry and it'll ask for a product key, click on "I already have a product key" option.
PS: Alternatively, you can directly launch "Add features to Windows 8" window by running WindowsAnytimeUpgradeui command in RUN box. Press Win+R keys together to launch RUN box and then type the command.
4. Now enter following product key:
5. Click on Next button and select the checkbox "I accept the license terms" and click on "Add features" button.
6. That's it. Windows 8 will start installing Windows Media Center in your system. It'll require a restart and you'll be able to enjoy Windows Media Center in Windows 8. A new tile of Windows Media Center will also be added to Start Screen.
NOTE: The same method will apply to Windows 8 RTM but the above mentioned product key will not work. You'll need to purchase a new product key using Windows Media Center add-on pack from Microsoft. You can get a free license key of Media Center Pack for Windows 8 using following link:
For more FAQs such as upgrading to Windows 8 Release Preview from Consumer Preview, Developer Preview, Windows XP, Vista or 7, visit following FAQ list:
And don't forget to read our exclusive review of Windows 8:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Fix] Windows XP SP3 Setup Error: Cannot Update a Checked (Debug) System with a Free (Retail) Version of Service Pack 3
- Is Windows Vista SP3 Coming? List of All Updates and Hotfixes Ready for SP3 Inside
- Microsoft Removes “Get Windows 10” (GWX) App from Windows 7 and 8.1 Computers
- Transform Windows XP into Windows 8.1 without using Customization Pack
- How to Enable Hidden “Aero Lite” Theme in Windows 8 and Later?
- [Review] Samsung Galaxy S6 with Google Android 6.0 Marshmallow Update